- This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the service.
"Total Validation" is the seventh episode of Season 2 and the seventeenth episode of China, IL.
An intoxicated Baby Cakes locks his father outside the house, to Leonard's disgust. Outside, he sees the Falgot family heading out and asks about this. Falgot states they're attending Total Validation, a counseling service. Later, Steve and Kally, his girlfriend, share a kiss and agree to watch Toy Movie 3 later despite Steve's hesitation. As Kally departs, Steve takes notice of Frank and Pony's disgust of the relationship, then claims they're screw-ups when he interprets their negative emotion as jealousy of his positivism. He continues with the fact that he and Kally are going to her parents' lake house for the night, and Frank tests Steve's positivism by asking to borrow his Miata for the night, which Steve allows, despite showing some hints of pessimism.
While the Cakeses drive around town, Baby Cakes spots a group of homeless men and thinks they're "street trolls." As Baby Cakes becomes angry, Leonard asks him if he's made his bed, keeping in mind that Baby Cakes will react negatively when he sees his bed isn't made. An angered Baby Cakes jumps out of the car, and meanwhile, Steve and Kally gather at Town Bar after viewing Toy Movie 3. Kally claims the movie was deeply moving, but Steve remains apathetic toward it, to Kally's disapproval. The two then agree to drop the subject for a while to share a kiss in Steve's attempt to not come off as a cynic.
At the campus cafeteria, Leonard remains frustrated with his son's behavior, but uncertain of what to do. Falgot suggests Leonard go with his son to Total Validation, who will identify who's right and who's wrong in their relationship. That night, Frank and Pony go for a joyride in Steve's car out of resentment for Steve's sense of superiority, but Frank runs a red light and is caught by the red light camera, an action that Steve feared would occur. Frank stops the car and tries to destroy the evidence, but takes a picture of him and Pony when he kicks it, forcing the duo to find a way to destroy the feed to the police station.
As Steve goes with Kally to visit her parents, Frank and Pony go to the police station while in disguise and play ruses to get past security and destroy the footage of Frank's traffic violation. Exiting, however, the duo see that the car has been towed away while they were gone. Meanwhile, Steve joins Kally and her parents for dinner. The father, Bob, asks if they've seen Toy Movie 3, but he and Kally get irritated when Steve claims it wasn't in his taste. As an angered Steve prepares for the imminent argument, the Cakeses stop by Total Validation to have their relationship evaluated. Leonard states that his son is making his life hectic, while Baby Cakes claims Leonard isn't accepting who he is.
Frank and Pony stop by a towing yard in an attempt to retrieve Steve's car. The clerk there tells them it's not there, but it may be with car thief Miata Mike. Just then, they get a call from Steve, who needs a ride from the lake house, prompting Frank to lie that they'll be there within a few hours.
After Total Validation scans the memories of the Cakeses, the service declares that Baby Cakes is right in the relationship while Leonard is wrong, claiming Leonard should unconditionally accept his son's behavior. Leonard is sentenced to time in rehabilitation, but before such, he questions this. The judge points out Leonard's obsession over Baby Cakes keeping his bed tidy and ignores Leonard's statement that Baby Cakes goes berserk when he sees it disorganized. Meanwhile, Brenda joins Steve, noting that she too dislikes Toy Movie 3. When they realize they share a common interest, the two prepare for sex.
Stopping by the Miata Chop Shop, Pony and Frank see Steve's car but have to negotiate with Miata Mike to keep it. After declining the initial offer, the duo accept a compromise—Miata Mike will give them a ride to the lake house and keep the car afterward—and head to Steve's whereabouts, Miata Mike in accompaniment. Meanwhile, as Leonard and the other wrong people endure rehabilitation, Falgot notices that Baby Cakes' reckless behavior is supported by Total Validation and instantly senses flaws in the service's methods.
As Miata Mike takes a break at a rest area, Frank decides that he and Pony must kill Miata Mike to get Steve's car back. The duo fail to ambush the car thief, but Miata Mike comes to an understanding when he realizes he and Frank have conflicts with their older brothers. Meanwhile, Bob intrudes on Steve and Brenda's intercourse to confront her about her dislike of Toy Movie 3, and the argument on said movie resumes. At the Cakes' home, Baby Cakes predictably goes berserk when he sees his unmade bed. He thinks the "street trolls" he saw a few days ago slept in his bed and goes out to hunt them down.
Entering the Total Validation building, Falgot reconciles with his wife, then informs Leonard of the chaos Baby Cakes is causing. As Baby Cakes walks up to the homeless men, ready for confrontation, the bickering over Toy Movie 3 continues. Arriving with Pony and Frank and overhearing this, Miata Mike reveals he too enjoys the movie, and he enters the house with Kally and Bob. Brenda tries to leave with the Smiths and Pony, but Steve leaves her behind as Leonard meets with Baby Cakes to stop his idiotic behavior. Fed up, Leonard states he'll leave Baby Cakes behind should the recklessness prevail. Moved by this statement, Baby Cakes promises to change.
- Flip Flop is revealed to have a sister, Flap Flap. The two are seen at Total Validation to have their relationship evaluated.
- Toy Movie 3 is a reference to Toy Story 3.
- Those who loved the film include Matt, Bob, Mike and Kally. Those who disliked it include Steve and Brenda.
- Underneath a banner advertising the movie is a statement that "everybody agrees Toy Movie 3 is the best movie ever made!"
- The people whom Total Validation supports are Baby Cakes, Falgot, Kim and Flap Flap.
- The people whom Total Validation opposes are Leonard, Gale, Matt, Flip Flop and Sammy.
- Sammy's significant other at the time remains unknown.
- One of the gang members says "Shit" and isn't censored.
- Baby Cakes wakes up at 5:55 A.M.
- At multiple times, Baby Cakes makes "Canada Cakes", which are composed of maple syrup, Quaker Oats and Canadian whiskey. Upon consumption, Baby Cakes engages in activity that Leonard can't tolerate, thus resulting in their visit to Total Validation.
- Beside Kwik Wash is the $1.01 Store, a parody of better-known dollar stores.
- While in Steve's Miata, Frank and Pony stop by Sonic.
- Frank mentions that he got Steve a ticket every time he borrowed Steve's car.
- The number for Tow Up Towing Yard is 555-0171.
- The movie Steve claims to enjoy is Last Tango in Paris; later on, Brenda claims she too enjoys said movie.
- An earlier hint toward Total Validation's unreliability is its claim that not all males have to buy what their girlfriends want, but only Matt does.
- Leonard states Baby Cakes is 30.
- At the end, Derrick watches Leonard come to terms with his son in an attempt to end the latter's mischief, then vows to discontinue Total Validation.
- In addition to Miata Mike, other car thieves' names include Toyota Tim and Honda Kevin. The latter is the only one that isn't alliterative.
- A parody of U-Haul, "A-Haul" is seen on a van that drives past as Miata Mike heads inside a rest area. The phone number on the van is 800-555-0199.
- An A-Haul van was previously seen in "The Diamond Castle".
- As Leonard and Baby Cakes embrace, Derrick goes from smiling in one frame to crying in the next.
- When Frank stops the car, there is no indication that the car is in a tow away zone, but when Frank and Pony exit the police station, there's a sign pointing out the tow away zone and the zone on the street is shown as a striped rectangle.
- Leonard: No Canada Cakes! You're already an insane person, but that stuff makes you impossible to deal with!
- Leonard: [Locked out of the house] Jerk! I don't have my key! Let me in!
- Baby Cakes: Well, I got like five keys in here, so you do the meth!
- Leonard: It's not meth. It's math!
- Frank: Everything is one degree away from my Kevin Bacon.
- Steve: I think I found the one.
- Pony: Oh, gross!
- Frank: Such a liar!
- Baby Cakes: [Jumping out of Leonard's car] Geronimo-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa!
- Falgot: [Total Validaton] said I was right and not my dick of a wife.
- Pony: [Impersonating Steve] Little Dog, do this. Pony girl, stop laughing.
- Frank: Salad nuggets!
- Total Validation Spokesperson: We all have to love our loved ones unconditionally, but sometimes, we disagree about which one of us is the dick.
- Derrick: Before we get started, is there anything you need to confess?
- Baby Cakes: I'm Batman.
- Derrick: Mmm-hmm.
- Derrick: Leonard, your turn. Imagine your son tells you that he wants to burn your face off with acid. What do you say?
- Leonard: What do I say? I say—I say, "Go right ahead because you're my son, and I must love you unconditionally."
- Derrick: Are you just telling me what I want to hear?
- Leonard: Hey, Derrick, do me a favor: go fuck yourself.
- Falgot: You're an awful pig boy.
- [Frank and Pony ambush Miata Mike, but the attack proves fruitless.]
- Miata Mike: [Cocking his gun] Why do that?
- Frank: Because we're screw-ups and we don't wanna admit it, ok? Oh damn it. Just kill us! Older brothers just suck.
- Miata Mike: Hang on! I'm an older brother—but I'm also a younger brother.
- Bob: [Catching Brenda and Steve having sex] Brenda, I cannot believe you! Kally says you don't like Toy Movie 3!
- Frank/Miata Mike/Pony: ♪It's a Miata!♪
- Bob: Toy Movie 3 is the best movie ever made!
- Miata Mike: [Arriving at the lake house] Hang on. Toy Movie 3? I loved that film; I cried like a little girl.
- Kally: Awww! Now that is a real man!
- Leonard: Being related or in a relationship doesn't give us license to disrespect each other or act crazy or take each other for granted. I have the right to demand more of you, and you—from me.
- Baby Cakes: I can't even—what do you mean?
- Leonard: Son, if you don't stop making Canada Cakes, I'm—I'm walking out on this father-son thing. Change—for me.
- Baby Cakes: Dad, you never threatened to leave me before.
- Homeless Man 1: He never threatened to leave you before? Shit, you a lunatic.
- Baby Cakes: Well, ok. I promise I won't make those Canada Cakes anymore.
- Leonard: Ah, son. I love you, son.
- Derrick: This is how it's supposed to be. People don't need Total Validation. I'm gonna blow up the clinic tomorrow morning.
- [A large gang of other homeless men appear.]
- Homeless Man 2: Oh, guess what time it is. We gonna wallow in all yo beds and drink all yo soap!
- Homeless Man 3: Kill 'em, boys!
- [The homeless men attack Baby Cakes et al.]
Characters Appearing Edit
- Anne Hong
- Baby Cakes
- Flap Flap
- Flip Flop
- Miata Mike
- Officer Jacobson
- Stacy Megan
- Trouble Bubble
|"China-Man Begins"||"Surfer God"|
|Pilots||"China, IL: The Funeral" • Unaired Pilot|
|Season 1||"Rewind, Pause, Pay!" • "Dean vs. Mayor" • "Baby Boom" • "Coming Out of the Casket" • "Secret Society" • "Prom Face/Off" • "Frankensteve" • "Chinese New Year" • "Dream Reamer" • "Dean's List"|
|Season 2||"The Perfect Lecture" • "Is College Worth It?" • "Do You Know Who You Look Like?" • "The Diamond Castle" • "Kenny Winker Rules" • "China-Man Begins" • "Total Validation" • "Surfer God" • "Prank Week" • "Wild Hogs"|
|Season 3||"A Gentleman's Bet" • "Best Face Forward" • "Charlize" • "Crow College" • "Bi-Topping-Ality" • "Parent's Day" • "Displays of Manhood" • "Life Coaches" • "Gummie World" • "Magical Pet"|