"Charlize" is the third episode of Season 3 and the twenty-third episode of China, IL.
When a fog leaves Earth almost uninhabited, Pony searches for clues as to what happened.
Pony goes to the campus hospital to become an assistant for Leonard, who reveals he is working on an experiment, but refuses to give details. Pony notices Leonard's test subject, Patient Zero, as well as a safety chamber with salt surrounding it, and after escorting the teacher's assistant out of the laboratory, a panicking Leonard exits as well because of a fog behind him spreading and killing everyone with whom it comes into contact. Seeing the resulting commotion, Pony darts to the safety chamber as an airplane flies straight toward the Cakes' residence, where Baby Cakes and Frank are. As Frank darts away just before the plane's impact, the fog stretches across the entire world, seemingly leaving Pony the only human alive.
Later, as the fog subsides, Pony exits the chamber and stays in the campus library, where she inspects Patient Zero's files, reads about a trip Leonard took before the deathly fog resulted, studies information on open and closed circles, and notes involvement Patient Zero had with the Cakeses. At the Cakes' house, Pony watches a video depicting Leonard's experiment in which he lays out an open circle of salt, decapitates a live chicken, and sips rum and subsequently spits it. Entering Leonard's room, which remained relatively intact after the plane crash, Pony sees another closed circle of salt surrounding a safety chamber, similar to the chamber and salt circle from the laboratory.
Pony hears an approaching vehicle, and in it is Frank, who reveals he was in Leonard's room exercising as the fog was spreading, then retreated to the chamber upon seeing the plane. After conversing with Frank, Pony returns to the campus hospital to further investigate Leonard's experiment and its aftermath. Pony notices a bottle of rum and a dead chicken, then watches Leonard repeat the earlier experiment, except this time, Leonard executes another step: he kills a human sacrifice, the sacrifice being Patient Zero. The procedure creates the deadly fog, and Pony watches Leonard drop a sheet of paper while exiting the laboratory. Pony retrieves the sheet, which outlines a resurrection spell, and after reading it, Pony concludes that because Leonard had failed to spit the correct flavor of rum, Leonard caused the lethal fog.
Afterward, Pony returns to the Cakes' home to tell Frank she is certain they can reverse Leonard's mistake. Pony asks that one of them be the human sacrifice, but Frank refuses to die and is hesitant to kill Pony, leaving Pony to kill Frank. Scared, Frank darts out out of the home, a determined Pony following while carrying the other requirements. In the history office, Frank takes a seat, hoping he evaded Pony. Surrounding the professor is an open circle of salt, and Pony reveals herself, performing the first steps of the spell in the process. A still-frightened Frank remains hesitant toward either of them dying but eventually relents when coaxed by Pony, leading to Pony completing the spell, which releases another fog that negates the earlier one.
- The episode's plot mimics the 2002 film 28 Days Later.
- During the start of the episode, the Smiths and Baby Cakes form a band. In an attempt to get the attention of Charlize Theron, they name their band Charlize, hence the name of the episode. Despite the episode title, the episode's main topic revolves around the aftermath of Leonard's failed experiment and Pony researching the events beforehand.
- During the first fog:
- A crane operator dies, causing the crane to topple into a building and kill the Dean and the Mayor.
- A taxi driver dies; the taxi collides into Steve.
- A panicked mob tramples Matt and Flip Flop.
- A pilot and a co-pilot die and their plane crashes into the Cakes' household, killing Baby Cakes while Frank darts to a location unknown at the time.
- Steve is revealed to have "dibs" on Pony, meaning no one else can have sex with her.
- Frank assumes that Steve's death lifts these dibs. Later, Pony offers to have sex with Frank if he accepts dying for a short while, which is the only reason he accepts his brief death.
- Because of Steve's resurrection, Frank realizes he cannot have sex with Pony after his sacrifice. Consequently, Frank accuses Pony deceiving him into accepting an ultimately unfair deal.
- The contacts on Pony's phone are Matt, Crystal, Frank, Steve, and Falgot.
- Cravid receives a paternity test telling him he is not the father.
- The rate at which the first fog spreads noticeably accelerates.
- At the start and end of the episode, Steve criticizes Pony for being too dependent on both him and Frank.
- In the first few minutes, Pony asks to join the band and requests that Steve teach her to play the guitar. Steve rejects, claiming he has taught Pony a multitude of things, such as Excel and history.
- After the second fog takes effect, Frank's claim that he helped "do something for [Pony]" only strengthens Steve's belief, Steve remaining unaware of Pony's contribution in everyone's revitalization.
- When Pony makes her way to Food 4 Thought, a Redbox kiosk can be seen.
- Pony: ♪You grow a little belly♪
- ♪When you go through some shit,♪
- ♪Go through some shit,♪
- ♪Go through some shit.♪
- ♪You grow a little belly♪
- ♪When you go through some shit,♪
- ♪But the homies just♪
- ♪Say you thick.♪
- Steve's Voicemail: You got Steve. If you're hot, leave a message, and if you're Pony, just figure it out yourself.
- Pony: [Applying a bandage to her broken leg] That's all it needs, right? It's good.
- Pony: I gotta find a place with no more corpses.
- [Pony sees that Frank too has survived the fog.]
- Frank: Well I guess it's just you and me!
- [Pony stabs Frank.]
- Frank: I die now. All right, please please please let there be angels.
- [When the second fog revives the global population, Frank realizes Steve has "dibs" on Pony.]
- Frank: I can't screw you, so you screwed me!
Characters Appearing Edit
- Adam (mentioned)
- Baby Cakes
- Debra Bowl
- Eve (mentioned)
- Flip Flop
- Patient Zero
- Ronald Reagan
- Stacy Megan
- The Dean
- The Mayor
- White Angus
|"Best Face Forward"||"Crow College"|
|Pilots||"China, IL: The Funeral" • Unaired Pilot|
|Season 1||"Rewind, Pause, Pay!" • "Dean vs. Mayor" • "Baby Boom" • "Coming Out of the Casket" • "Secret Society" • "Prom Face/Off" • "Frankensteve" • "Chinese New Year" • "Dream Reamer" • "Dean's List"|
|Season 2||"The Perfect Lecture" • "Is College Worth It?" • "Do You Know Who You Look Like?" • "The Diamond Castle" • "Kenny Winker Rules" • "China-Man Begins" • "Total Validation" • "Surfer God" • "Prank Week" • "Wild Hogs"|
|Season 3||"A Gentleman's Bet" • "Best Face Forward" • "Charlize" • "Crow College" • "Bi-Topping-Ality" • "Parent's Day" • "Displays of Manhood" • "Life Coaches" • "Gummie World" • "Magical Pet"|